Saturday, November 12, 2011

Getting Ready for Calgary

The first race week of the season is in the books.  The results for race one are 


And for race two here:


I am happy to say that I finished much higher this year than I did at this race last season.  I pushed 2 tenths faster than last year, had down-times of an entire second and a half faster than last year, and was even in medal contention half-way down the course.  I just didn't have enough time to figure out the bottom of the track.  With more time to learn, train, and improve I'm sure I'll get my first 50.x on this track next season.

So now the focus shifts from Park City, UT to Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  This is going to be my second year sliding on the track at the Canada Olympic Park.  Last year, I had a lot of trouble with curve 8, and actually managed to do a barrel-roll out of it at one point.  I'm obviously hoping to avoid the style points this season.  

I'm confident that this year will be better than last.  The track in Calgary is challenging because you do not generate the speed that you do in other tracks.  That may sound counter-intuitive, but I drive mostly by "feel" (as opposed to others who drive by "sight").  This means that I rely much more heavily on feeling the pressure that my speed generates (literally, getting pushed down into the ice) in the curves than I do my sight in making my decisions about when and how to steer.  I found it very difficult to do this last year b/c the pressures were much more subtle.

With another year under my belt, and a concerted effort by me to work on my driving after having had so much difficultly in Calgary last season, I'm going in more prepared this year.  My plan for the week is to not try to do too much.  Of all the skills required of a good slider, I excel most at holding my form on my sled and I need to focus on that.  Sometimes, if you start to think too much about driving you get sloppy with form, and I don't want that to happen.  I need to be relaxed, despite my lack of familiarity with the course.

Although I swore I would never take this drive again, I am going to be driving up to Calgary tomorrow with a few other athletes.  Luckily, I will be taking a plane home to Montreal/Lake Placid so I won't have to do it twice.  For those of you who remember my epic blog post about the "whiteout" drive through Montana, I'm hoping to avoid that this season.  Wish me luck.

Hope you all have a nice weekend!

-Bradley

No comments:

Post a Comment